Saturday, April 6, 2013

Shumpei Yamaki Exhibition 4/27-4/29 at Sara Japanese Pottery


Shumpei Yamaki 2013 
– Dance with Shape -
Apr. 27th Sat. - Apr. 29th Mon.

We have known him for a long time already.
Shumpei Yamaki had been in Brooklyn until 4 years ago.
Before he left, we started to carry his work at Sara Japanese Pottery.
Shumpei moved to Iowa, as his home.
Now, we are happy to announce that Sara Japanese Pottery will present an exhibition of works by Shumpei Yamaki.

As a hip-hop dancer in Philadelphia and an archaeology student in Wisconsin, Yamaki arrived at The University of Iowa to pursue an MFA in ceramics. He discovered a passion for the craft almost serendipitously through a class taken for rehabilitation after a car accident, and decided to continue his exploration of ceramics
“Learning Street Dance has taught me how to share my voice with others visually and emotionally.  My experience in Hip Hop culture exists in my body and soul, blending with and influencing my wheel throwing techniques.
 I dance to express my primitive spirit, and intuition is exactly what I feel at that moment, completely removed from my self.  I view clay on the pottery wheel as a sort of stage for myself as a dancer. When water flows on the surface of clay on a pottery wheel, my hands dance to rhythm and my mind stretches into meditation.  As street dance and clay combine through me, the true primitive concepts of these two part forms communicate themselves to the audience; one is ephemeral, the other is permanent.“

–Shumpei Yamaki


The exhibition will feature his recent works, including wood-fired pieces.  
 It will take place from Saturday, April 27th, until Monday, April 29th, at Sara Japanese Pottery, 950 Lexington Avenue.
Let’s celebrate his first solo exhibition at the opening reception on Apr. 27th 6pm-8pm.   
Shumpei will be happy to share the time with you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment