Friday, October 17, 2014

Humorous Bronze Sculpture from Mexico : Manuel Ferreiro


We met unique bronze sculptor, Manuel Ferreiro, in this summer.
The intention of both, the piece and the brief story, is to provoke enjoyable emotions in the spectator to recall their own, and consequently to engage emotionally with the author.
By achieving to cause in the observer either admiration, interest or at least to make him or her smile, Manuel would consider his mission accomplished.





" El Humor "

" No matter how careful I am in designing and planning a project, that in a moment of distraction while executing it, I often make the kind of mistake like the one I purposely incorporated in this piece. That, which for the majority of people may be a reason for frustration or anger, for me is always a reason for amusement -I can laugh at myself with great joy. Besides, these types of errors can lead to useful discoveries and teachings: a professor used to say that a wrong design kills; although I agree, I do not think this chair would, but it could very well send someone to see the orthopedist and the psychiatrist. I would say all my pieces have a touch of humor, but El Humor (2010), is its true representation, something I think I have been looking for unconsciously for a time, because to me, it is something indispensable not only in the creative process, but in all aspects of life." -  Manuel Ferreiro

Bronze / 12 x 10 x 4 in. / 92 Oz.





 " El Enigma "

" Enigma: Saying or assortment of words of artificially concealed meaning so it is difficult to understand or interpret.- Dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy. I like enigmas: the verbal and the visual… for the pleasure the decoding brings, I suppose. El Enigma (2010), is my interpretation of a very simple tridimensional one, but still, an enigma. The doors –in the enigmatic amount of three-, perhaps evoke the sense of search in the adjacent space, while the absurd arrangement they are structured in, represents the artificially concealed meaning the mentioned dictionary refers to. I quote Don Quijote: “-It seems to me, Sancho, that there is no proverb which is not truthful, because they all are sentences taken from experience itself, mother of all sciences, specially that which says: Where one door closes, another opens”" -  Manuel Ferreiro

Bronze / 10 x 8.5 x 2.5 in. / 69 Oz.





" Tandem "

" One of my passions (which is close to an obsession), are traveling bags and suitcases. On each occasion I am about to depart, either for business or pleasure, I usually assess, with a long time in advance, what needs for that specific case will I have, carefully considering the weight and volume of what I will have to pack, and quite often I have to try several of them -out of the many I can find at home-, until I reach to the most suitable option. Tándem (2013) is only a somewhat surreal and humorist occurrence related to the exciting -and sometimes difficult- adventure of travel in couples, but can also be a useful metaphor for those whom -like me- believe that the journey through life should always be shared. For this work I was inspired by the heavy and rigid suitcase (which nowadays would be considered as a retro treasure) that my family always used when I was a child, whose mere sight and smell of leather presaged me the pleasures and excitement of vacation." - Manuel Ferreiro

Bronze / 6 x 6 x 7 in. / 81 Oz.

1 comment: