Monday, August 11, 2014

Wood Fired Dinosaurs from Today until 8/14 by Shumpei Yamaki


We are having a mini exhibition of "Wood Fired Dinosaurs" by Shumpei Yamaki.
Shumpei wrote a poem for his dinosaurs, his earnest words and sincere feeling will touch your heart.



Dinosaurs were my childhood heroes.
My simple childhood fascination is the motivation to create dinosaurs as mysterious monsters from a remote past.

This is the pure desire that I feel close to my artistic statement.
When I make these dinosaurs, my focus is to connect movement with living form, such that the form implies purposeful action.
During a wood firing, my dinosaurs shout out to me in the kiln as if they were in a survival world.
Over 2300 degree firestorm also reveals a unique surface for encountering one kind of my childhood  toy, the real clay dinosaurs.

"RAWRRRR"
Because of them, I can play with clay.

 
-Shumpei Yamaki
 
恐竜は僕にとって
子供の頃から憧れ続け遊んでいる
オモチャである。

恐竜には
いろんな想像を駆り立てるスペースがあって
いろんな事実がミステリーに包まれてるから
彼らがその昔、実在していたという事を
知るだけで なんだかウズウズする。

そんな恐竜に対する自分の想いを
土に伝える時 息づかいを伝えたい。
その土が炎に包まれた後は
彼らが 僕の目の前で動きだすのだから。
 
八巻駿平
 
 
T-Rex is the largest carnivorous dinosaur.
It is the king of all.
I need to make one of these just because the evidence of T-Rex has stricken my intuition greatly.



Triceratops "tree-horn face" is the most recognizable herbivorous dinosaur.
This three horned with a large frilled dinosaur, has no fear of fighting against T-Rex in my mind. They stand for rights.  



Styracosaurus "spiked lizard" looks strikingly elegant. Triceratops and Styracosaurus are the same group of herbivorous dinosaurs, called Ceratopsian.
I have to say Ceratopsians are my all time favorite. 



Stegosaurus "roof lizard" is an armored plant-eating dinosaur. Stegosaurus carries plates rising vertically along the back. Yes, it is weird to have vertical plates on your back yet Stegosaurus looks exceptionally stylish.

No comments:

Post a Comment