Tuesday, March 18, 2014

" Searching My LIfe " Essay by Shumpei Yamaki



To have a joint exhibit with Tim Rowan, "Exchanging Fire," at Sara Japanese Pottery means a great deal to me. Tim is a significant role model who appeared in my life when I needed an example of an independent working ceramic artist.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I was an adjunct professor seeking my goal of becoming a full time professor. Frequently Tim invited me to be part of his wood firing crew. Regularly working with him after graduate school had a huge impact on me. He lives his life beautifully. I was intrigued by Tim's studio potter life. He distinguished himself as a "studio potter" rather than a production potter and proved this life was possible. Four consecutive years of working with Tim has taught me not only how to operate your pottery business but also to simply enjoy clay.

The first time I met Tim Rowan was when he came to my university to do the workshop in 2003.

My preconceived notion of a studio potter's aura did not apply to his appearance. He seemed more like he was already a friend of mine, a collage classmate.

At the time, my biggest concern was how to become a self-supported artist.
(It is still my biggest concern, on a different level.)
It was a great opportunity to meet the various ceramic artists who visited our campus, so I could ask what they learned about being successful.
Looking back, it was a rude question.
But I asked him this question while he was demonstrating his box-making method.

This was my first verbal contact with Tim.

"Do you cover all your living expenses by selling work?"

Tim answered,
"Well... this month I did.... and last month I did." With a smile and nod which is just like Tim.

This comment opened my eyes to alternative life style.
It is ok to have loose life, not knowing much about future, but trusting your instinct.

I immediately said to myself "I like his life."


"This world is where I came to seek myself.
This world is where I came to see myself."
by Japanese historical potter Kawai Kanjiro.


Personally I have not found the way to be a self-supporting studio potter.
However, this world is where I discover myself and my way; this is what the world favors.

 

- Shumpei Yamaki
 
 
Tall Tumblers
Exchanging Fire
φ3"3/4 x H 5"3/4



Bottle
Exchanging Fire
φ 4"1/4 x H 6"1/2



Wood-fired Jar
φ10"1/2 x H 8"1/2


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment